<$BlogMetaData$

Friday, May 13, 2005

I Keep Dreaming About Tom Baker

Get your teeth into that one, you somnanalysts, you!

I don't really hold with this idea of dreams having hidden meanings. (And, anyway, try finding an entry for Tom Baker in a dream dictionary : ) I think that like any information system, when you shut down for the evening your brain has to review everything you've taken in during the day and decide what to expunge. I think it reflects feelings, mainly - even if the image you get doesn't match what it was that triggered that feeling. Something you felt very strongly about - positively or negatively - might get a little rerun of its own to help the brain decide if it's worth keeping. It's for that reason that I don't think a dream interpretation can apply to more than one person - it's not the image, necessarily, it's how you FELT about the situation presented there.

Maybe this would explain recurring dreams - feelings you just can't get rid of. I only have one of these. In it I'm driving a car. Over time it's been my Minis, my Toyota, my parents' cars, my friends' cars, other strange cars. Everything is going well until I go to put the brakes on and nothing happens. There's resistance in the pedal but the force isn't being communicated to the wheels. It doesn't matter how hard I stand on the brakes, the car won't stop. I guess the classic interpretation would be that this is a fear of loss of control, but I never had a dream like this before I started driving - how unimaginative I must be!

What I would like to know more about is the system that allows us to 'see' without having our eyes open. Is the visual cortex still involved, or is this not sight in any way that we know it? Is this the sort of seeing you do if you're blind or become so? Does anyone know?

5 Comments:

At 14/5/05 1:05 am, Blogger Anika : Stage Walker said...

I don't know. So anything written after this is merely my thoughts . . . . :D

In the dark we think we see things - ie our eyes are open, but because we are blinded we suddenly have to put the other senses on SUPER, but yet we still see things - our imaginations start to play.

I heard a theory once (this is a slight leg off to the side idea), that dejavu is actually related to the fact that we feel fear before happiness, so we actually see that way too, so we think we've seen a situation before, when actually we've seen it through our fear receptors, but that bad stuff hasn't happened so the happy receptors override, making us feel like we've seen a situation before.

I, however, for my own spiritual journey through life, belief it is a sign of being on the right track. I'm not talking God, cause I don't think you can tie spirituality so easily to one entity/organised religion - due to the fact that they miss out too much. You know the bible's good, but it's a small set of books to go by - for life.

Anyway - night night.

 
At 14/5/05 1:06 am, Blogger Anika : Stage Walker said...

by the way how do you do Bold? Italics?

 
At 14/5/05 1:08 am, Blogger Anika : Stage Walker said...

Too add a little more if I might . . . . supposing the theory about dejavu is correct. Perhaps this is why the world slows down when something awful does happen. Perhaps the fear receptors are slower and the happy ones have to be faster, yet delayed, so as they can override more quickly.

I'm going to bed now.

 
At 15/5/05 4:21 pm, Blogger Anika : Stage Walker said...

Now that I re-read my comments - they don't answer your question in anyway, but you know me :)

 
At 16/5/05 6:18 pm, Blogger Magnificent Trout said...

Bugger the question, I like your receptor theory! Thank you for being so commentful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home