<$BlogMetaData$

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Destruction

I was rounding off an easygoing day. Spent this morning lounging around in the sun eating honey puffs at the Greek festival with Julie and GP and this afternoon visiting Gran in hospital and wandering around the shops with Mum. Finished the novel I was reading and the cheese I was saving for just such an occasion, then caught up on all the TV I'd recorded from last night. Didn't mind the first episode of the new series of 'Doctor Who' - obviously the scenery doesn't wobble anymore : ( but they haven't made it too slick : )

ANYWAY, I've got one foot into the tub and I'm adjusting the water for a long, hot shower, when there's a damp CRUNCH! from next door. I wrap myself in a towel and drip hurriedly back into my bedroom, which has a aquatic motif all its own going on. Rivulets of water run down the front of my dresser, drip off my bed and pool on the floor. The floor itself is scattered with pebbles and shells interspersed with large shards of glass. I start raking through the debris. It takes me 15 minutes to find both goldfish and amazingly they're still alive and whole. I run back to the bathroom, chuck my toothbrush collection into the bath and fill the empty mug with water, dechlorinator and two very shocked fish. Back in my room, I spot a second trail of water. It leads me through the sitting room, into Ginette's room and under her bed. Hunched against the wall in the furthest corner is a saturated and shivering tabby cat. Ziggy Stardust has landed.

I put myself into a bathrobe and go back to clean up. When my mobile rings I'm under my bed scraping gravel onto a piece of newspaper and sopping up water with a towel. I stretch one arm back into my handbag to answer it. It's Anika.

- Hi. Listen, do sheep belong to the ovine family?

I haven't spoken to Neek in person for about two months.

- What? Err...do sheep...? Uh, yes. Yes, they do.

- Thanks! If I win a million I'll give it to you. 'Bye!

When Ginette got home she was kind enough to place me in the recovery position and make a cup of coffee.

2 Comments:

At 23/5/05 12:06 am, Blogger Anika : Stage Walker said...

Sorry babe. Obviously picked the worse possible time - done good :D.

I hope you're feeling better. And I really would give you the million if I won.

Your friend with bad timing,

Le Moose

 
At 23/5/05 3:59 pm, Blogger Magnificent Trout said...

Fear not - I was laughing like an idiot! And you know how I love trivia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home