<$BlogMetaData$

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Backing Out

Feeling very sloshy having consumed my own bodyweight in Milo in an effort to stay awake while captioning an hour-long advertisement for Hyundai...sorry, Discovery documentary on shipbuilding.

Back to Disability Services at uni today, and so back to backing in at Griffith. I am the world's least talented reverse parker, but nothing will deter me from my efforts. I think the source of the problem is that I have never understood the theory of the thing. I was a champion reverse parker in the car I learned in, but that was largely because of the cleverly-positioned sticker on the rear window that told me when to turn. I now try to apply the same principle to my own car, but Erik the Red is not a driving school rollerskate and it doesn't work. Worse, there's no method to my experimentation - I just swing this way and that without much analysis of the consequences. After a few minutes I've usually attracted a crowd of advisers and well-wishers, and this morning I had a security guard giving me directions.

It wasn't really a good morning to be out. Actually, it WAS, and that's why it wasn't. It was such a beautiful day today and I felt it was some kind of grand insult to the universe to feel sad when all around me was so glorious. I am trying hard not to mope but it catches me unawares even now.

Vince, the student I support, is his usual delightful self after a three-month break - still enthusiastic, still persistent, and still correcting my Italian : ) He tried to shake me out of my funk by teaching me all the French sign language he picked up from a recently departed friend, taking my vocabulary to 'cat', 'French', 'firetruck', 'Melbourne', 'window', 'difficult' and 'work' in three different languages of the deaf. I love the logic and just plain...thingness of sign - it's great fun. Learning Auslan is definitely up there on my list of things.

Arrived home to discover - joy of joys - my Deakin student card has arrived.
Cheap stuff again, hurrah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home